noun – the act of resolving or determining upon an action, course of action, method, procedure, etc.
late 14c., “a breaking into parts,” from Old French resolution (14c.) or directly from Latin resolutionem (nominative resolutio) “process of reducing things into simpler forms” … New Year’s resolutions in reference to a specific intention to better oneself is at least from 1780s
As 2015 begins and I ponder the long tradition of New Year’s Resolutions, I am struck by the origin of the word resolution as a “process of reducing things into simpler forms.” Looking at the year ahead of you is exciting, but it can also be daunting to contemplate all that you want to accomplish in the coming year. Rather than declaring big, bold challenges for the new year, I think I will take a more long-term investment approach of small but significant steps. As I look at my next year as a freelancer, I see a few “simple forms” that with a little investment could significantly impact my effectiveness and enjoyment.
- Rearrange my home office – My current home office is cluttered and a bit cramped. I have some ideas for rearranging the furniture and my computer that could make the space more effective for my freelance work. I often have multiple documents open online and numerous books I am referencing as well, so I need more clean, flat space. Sounds like I will be looking into some possible shelving or cabinets to clean up the desktop.
- Try mobile proofreading/editing tools – Driving my twin daughters to various events and carpooling with other families, I often find myself with waiting time that I could utilize while away from my home office. I also travel quite a bit for work and consulting, which means I have time in airports and on trains. I am looking into mobile mark up applications such as PDF Expert, PDF Pen or Scrivener for iPad.
- Pick two people I really would like to get to know better – My friend Paco (G*M*S Magazine) and I were discussing New Year’s Resolutions on Facebook, and I came up with this idea that we both really liked. Spend the year devoting quality time to two new relationships (personal or professional). If I did that with two people every year, think how much stronger and more diverse my friendships would be. Two people seems simple enough, but this could have such profound impact on our lives if we make this a yearly resolution.
Beyond resolutions, there are some exciting things I am looking forward to in 2015:
- Completing the Kickstarter portion of the Achtung! Cthulhu line with Modiphius. This has been an amazing project to work on, and the entire team at Modiphius and I will be celebrating as we reach the milestone of the final Kickstarter books. Even more great and exciting things are coming for Achtung! Cthulhu in the future, beyond the Kickstarter.
- New projects in the new year! I have already been approached to work on some amazing projects that will be released this year. I wish I could share more at this time, but I am sworn to secrecy (or under an NDA). So excited to see the new games become available.
- Taking my family to Gen Con 2015 for the entire week. In past years, my family has only attended on Sunday. This year, they are coming the entire week with me.
- The unknown excites me as well. What new publishers will I meet in 2015? What new projects will I have the opportunity to work on? I look forward with great anticipation to new friendships and new challenges.
What “simple forms” could have great impact on you in the New Year? What excites you about 2015?
Happy New Year!